Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Well....here it goes....my first attempt at blogging.....so I will apologize now if I go about this the wrong way!  I'm assuming I will learn as I go, so please be kind.

What do you want to be when you grow up? Its a simple question that we are asked throughout our lives, beginning at a very young age. Eventually we get to an age, where we are the ones asking the question.  Our answers, most of us anyway, change hundreds of times before we are actually expected to choose a path and follow it. I wanted to be a mommy.  Sure, it changed through the years, a teacher, a dance instructor, (Thanks Ms. Terri!), a NICU nurse, and a school guidance counselor or principal.   I wanted to open a fun hair salon for children, I wanted to have a small children's bookstore ( like the one in You've Got Mail), or a cute little kids boutique.  Are you seeing a theme here??  Looking back I realized that everything I showed any interest in growing up had something to do with children.  So it comes as no surprise, to anyone that has known me longer than say, five minutes, that from the time I learned to talk, what I wanted more than anything, was to be a mother.  And when I would picture the family that I prayed I would one day have, it was never just one or two, but more like four or five. 

Fast forward to October of 2007, to the night that I met a guy named Allen Watson.  I know that love at first sight sounds ridiculous to some, but I truly remember the first time we made eye contact.  I was a goner. I won't make you roll your eyes by saying it was love at first sight, but I will tell you that it was close to it.  We talked about our desire to have kids very early on.  In fact, not too long after we started dating, think weeks, not months, we had come up with a name for our first baby girl.  Allye Grace.  Take Allen, mix it with Shellye, you have baby Allye Grace Watson.  We were married six months, to the day, after we first met.  I don't think it was a surprise to anyone that we immediately began trying to have a baby.  We are pretty sure that some people thought we were already expecting.  Why else would two people who barely knew each other get married so quickly?? The first month went by, and nothing happened.  The second month went by, still nothing, and so on and so forth, until I woke up one morning and realized we had been married a year, and it was still just the two of us.   Our friends were having babies left and right.  We were so happy for them, and celebrated with them, and loved on their little ones, but would go home to a quiet, clean house, with no little feet running around.  Each month I would get a little more down about it than I was the month before.  We were constantly being asked when we were going to start trying? No one knew our secret.  We were already trying, desperately.........

No comments:

Post a Comment